We have been promoting 'Active Travel' for a number of years here at Coldean.
Our aims are to:
- Reduce congestion around the school;
- Improve safety for pedestrians, cyclists, children on scooters and drivers;
- Encourage healthier lifestyles by walking, scooting and cycling;
- Reduce carbon emissions from vehicles in and around Coldean;
To support our aims we organise:
"Learn to Ride" days where we teach Reception and Key Stage 1 children how to ride their bikes (without stabilisers!)
Active Travel Days
"The Big Pedal": a three week, inter-school competition held each March to encourage children, parents and staff to cycle or scoot to and from school
- Pedestrian training for our Year 1 and Year 3 children to develop safer walking practices when out and about.
"Scootability" for our Year 2 children to develop safer scooting practices. Click here for the council's "Scooting: a guide for parents."
- Bike-It events each term. Check out our Bike-It page for further information.
- "Bikeability" All children in Years 5 and 6 can achieve Level 1 and then move on to Level 2.
Children learn to carry out a simple bike check, safe start and stopping procedures, turning left and right and they learn how to use the gears on their bicycles.
The children learn to turn left and right and pass parked vehicles. They learn road signs. The training takes place on the road near to the school where suitable junctions can be found.
PARK AND STRIDE
The children helped to map out where the 5-minute zone is around the school and we sent maps out to all parents / carers.
After a sign-design competition, the council then installed the winning entry on lamp-posts at the edge of the zone so everyone knows from where to 'park and stride'!